Saturday, January 17, 2009

Blessed


The next morning I woke up at 6am, totally refreshed and rested. In the reception area played classical music and together with the cold air it felt like christmas. Elisban joined me for breakfast and promised to take me to some "miradores", watch points to see the canyon, in Cabanaconde. I asked him about horses for rent and he said he would take me there after breakfast.

In the morning sun Cabanaconde looked much friendlier than the day before. There was a lot of business going on - little girls taking their sheeps to graze, grandmothers carrying logs home from the hills... I was thinking of taking some pictures as they really looked very pituresque, just like the Peru you see on the cover of guide books! But then I decided not to do it - I guess I would not have been happy myself if some peruvians with cameras sneaked into our office in the LAC and taking pictures of us at work! So I decided to be respectful and just save the pictures in my head.

When we got to the guy who rents out horses Elisban ordered two horses and a guide. When I asked him who the second person would be, he said that he would come with me. We used the time they needed to get the horses ready to go to the first mirador - the view on the canyon is just amazing and I was lucky to see a condor sailing on the thermics of the canyon. I didn´t know that they can´t actually fly - they sail just like a glider! So if you have any passion for flying you can´t help but be amazed of this majestic bird. Its just incredibly beautifull. The view on the canyon and the condor left me speechless and I felt very blessed. Especially as I had the possibiliy to enjoy this scenery in a nice company and not with a hundred gringos taking pictures around me. Yamil had told me that in the high season up to 100 tour busses arrive at the Cruz del Condor - resulting in about 200 gringos per condor, I guess!

Half an hour later the guide arrived with the horses at the hotel and we took off to a two hour ride around Cabanaconde and to another view point of the canyon. There where some clouds moving towards Cabanaconde from the other side of the canyon and you could thunderstorm in the distance - "the soundtrack of nature", as Elisban put it. The athmosphere was just incredible! We were lucky that it didn´t start raining and enjoyed wonderfull views of the canyon.

After lunch we decided to play volley with the kitchen staff. We put up a rope as "net" and drew a field with chalk on the ground in front of the hotel. It was quite foggy and started raining - but we kept onplaying. After a couple of games we where still at tie so we had to play one more, just another more... at the end we where all soaked and dirty - it must have been quite a funny sight! Unfortunately the ball fall into a barbed wire fence or some kind of spike and was losing more and more air. When it was too weak to play anymore we decided to make use of one of the empty superior suites and jumped into the whirlpool to warm up and relaxed. As we didn´t know that you have to fill itup with water first we put on the whirl function too early and covered the whole place in foam and water. So it was not very relaxing - but very funny :-)

Later on we played cards, forgot the time and I was locked out of the main building, where the reception and my room was, and had to sleep in the staff room.

All in all a perfect day - nearly too much for one day! Only 24 hours earlier I had arrived in a cold and foggy little village having no idea what to do and now I had made new friends, seen so much beauty and feeling very much at home. I just felt very, very blessed!

No comments: