Thursday, February 5, 2009

La Paz Packages and Zebras


There are definately a lot of things in Bolivia that need improvement (restaurant service, transport...) - but there is one thing that I hope will never change: the central post office in La Paz! I went there at 8am this morning with 4kg of clothes and gifts to send home. I didn't have a box, neither packing material and had no idea how this would work out... I arrived shortly after the post office had opened and a friendly lady at the information send me downstairs to the "seƱora" wo does the packing and who was just having her breakfast. In Germany they would have ignored you until was brakfast over, in Hungary maybe killed you right away. Not so in La Paz, "Come in, Mamacita Linda, how can we help you, amiguita?" All smiling she put her breakfast aside and took my stuff. Her colleague, equally smiling, joined her and they started packing my stuff into a big box. They wrapped the fragile stuff in my sweaters without me telling them to. I didn't know what to say anymore - the post office staff I've met so far did an outstanding job on surviving the work day without once using their brain cells. Anyhow these two ladies managed to pack my stuff, joke with me and sing and laugh... I haven't met so lovely and happy people at work for quite some time! When they packed my big woolen jumper from Peru they asked if it was for my boyfriend to keep him warm while I was away. No, I said, its for my parents. "Oh, disgrace, you aren't sending anything for your boyfriend" - they joked. "Not even a kiss?" They reminded me of Peruvian taxi drivers, whose favourite subjects usually envolve around boyfriends, kissing and romance. Alberto and I usually were a big disappointment to any taxi driver, as we wouldn't kiss or provide romantic details. I did my best not to disappoint the wrapping ladies and promised to send a kiss or two. And as it seems, sending gifts to the "padrecitos" was valued as well.

When I went over to the cashier with my perfectly wrapped package he greeted me with a smile and a "Buenos dias, princessita" from afar. I have been called all kind of names in German post offices, but never anything close to "princessita" ;-).

Unfortunately I do not have more stuff to ship home - I would love to go back to these friendly and happy people anytime! Maybe I should apply for a job there ;-)

But... there is also another cool job in La Paz that caught my eye: the Zebra!
To regulate chaotic traffic situation and make it easier for pedestrians to cross the street, peple dressed as zebras stop the traffic and help you cross the street. They could do it in a serious and business like way, like a traffic police officer, but they do it dancing, shaking theyr striped behind, waving to the drivers... When we first saw a zebra on our way to the hostel we couldn't stop laughing and our taxi driver had to explain to us the concept of zebra traffic regulation!

No comments: