Saturday, September 20, 2008

Aloha Brasil!

Unfortunately I have not been very well this week. I guess I ate something wrong... allergic reaction and inflamed eyes... I even went to the doctor but apart from a funny experience and a Portuguese lesson ("No ponto do medico" ;-)) it didnt help much. As I had to stay in for some days I decided to move from the Albergue to a nicer place - and I found paradise :-) The Pousada Aloha Brasil is right next to the beach, has beautifully designed room, all in a somewhat Asian or Hawaiian style with huge balconies and hammocks. As you can see, Mainzelinho is enjoying the beautifull view from our balcony as well! I have been spending the last two days mostly in the hammock on the balcony, watching the sun, the stars, the rain and my not very attractive neighbours (well, nothing is perfect, right ;-)). Today its raining and I bought two books (autobiography of Ayaan Hirsi Ali and a novel about Cairo) and wait for Will to arrive from Salvador...

By the way, I was wondering who invented hammocks and here it comes, courtesy of Wikipedia ;-) : The hammock was developed in Pre-Columbian America and continues to be produced widely throughout the region. Though it is unknown who invented the hammock, many maintain that it was a device created out of tradition and need. The English language derivation of hammock and various European equivalents is borrowed from the Spanish hamaca or hamac around 1700, in turn taken from a Taino culture Arawakan word (Haiti) meaning "fish net".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beatrice,

hope you´re feeling better now; especially while you´re about to really travel around. How were your books? Maybe we can boorow them when you´ve finished them by the time we meet up. We are in Salta now and hope to cross the Bolivian border from here. Even still here are some nice places to explore.
Have a good travel,
Jeroen
jeroenmaisa.hyves.nl

Anonymous said...

Bär, how are you in Brasil? Do I have to write my comments in english? Oder kann ich auch schön auf Deutsch schreiben? I hope you´ll enjoy your trip and I´m anxious to read about your time in South America!

Hugs & Kisses,
Herr Rike :-)

Geov@nny said...

Hi Beatrice, i have good news for you, the Host who will host me said me that you could stay at his couch too. So we keep in contact to see the date that you are planning arrive to Manaus.

So, keep in touch and good luck in your epic travel...

Geovanny