Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Policemen and Coconuts

The other day I went running in the morning and on my way back to the hostel I stopped at my favourite coconut seller - a sweet old lady who always wears a colourfull bandana and reads cosmetic leaflets - to get a coco gelada. I was surprised to see two policemen standing behind her stall, one young and really huge, about two 2m, the other a bit older and smaller. I had no idea what was going on and just hoped that the sweet coconut grandma was not in trouble. I asked for my coconut as usual and when she turned around to get it and cut it open the policemen started going through her bags. I was shocked - what was going on - was this sweet grandma a traficante, a drug dealer, or what was she hiding in her bags! One of the policemen had found her purse an opened it. He looked at the other one, they grinnd and poked each other - and then the older one bent down to pick up some pebbles from the ground - put them in the purse and put it back in her bag. At that time the old lady had cut open the coconut and handed it over to me. The policemen giggled and poked each other, grinning and making faces to me. When I paid for my coconut and the old lady got out her purse she discovered the pebbles. The policemen giggled like little children and made more faces and poked each other. She said something about making her purse dirty and they replied that money was dirty, something in that sense. It was really funny and sweet to see how two grown up men in uniform could behave like little children. I was relieved that the old lady was not in trouble - obviously they where good friends. I had to laugh all the way back at the thought of this practical joke!

No comments: